Skip to content
2 women discussing at office table

Unions and advice

Migrant workers working in the UK should receive equal pay to British workers doing the same job and must be paid at least the national minimum wage. They are protected by UK employment laws, have the right to be paid annual leave and statutory sick pay, and must pay tax and national insurance.


Unions represent workers’ interests and can help you with any issues that you may face in the workplace especially if you feel you are being treated unfairly.

Below is a list of links of Unions that can support migrants.


There are a number of Bristol-based advice services that you might find helpful on a number of issues.

For advice about money and debt:

Avon and Bristol Law Centre provide free legal advice. They cover many issues such as discrimination, housing and immigration.

Bristol Citizen Advice Bureau can give you advice on a wide range of matters.

Shelter exist to defend the right to a safe home. Join them in ending the devastating impact the housing emergency has on people and our communities.

Bristol Hate Crime Services is there to give you confidential advice and support if you feel that you are experiencing hate crime. The link below will direct you to their main webpage.

Bristol Women’s Aid helps women who are suffering or have suffered domestic violence or abuse.

LGBT Bristol works in partnership with Bristol City Council to empower lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people to become actively involved in community life.